If you have followed Watean for any length of time you probably have a drawer full of coupon inserts and are wondering how you’ll know when to get rid of them. I use the grocery coupon database at CouponMom.com to help me purge. Here’s my step-by-step to purging your coupon inserts:
1. Once per quarter log into
2. Pull out all your coupon inserts and set them on your desk in date order (I keep them in date order, oldest on top)
3. Visit the grocery coupon database for your state
4. The first screen you see has a list of all the non-expired coupons in your area with the most recent inserts at the top. I scroll way down on the page until I reach the date for the oldest insert I have.
a. The left-hand column in is the date of the insert and an abbreviation for the publisher
5. I flip through the inserts and scroll up the list removing any inserts that are not listed online (since that means all the coupons are expired) or that only have coupons in them for things I will never buy.
6. Tah-dah, purged. I let my toddler play grocery store with the coupons before I throw them out and she loves it!
As you can tell by my process I do not hang on to expired coupons simply because it is too much for me to keep track of and I get plenty of freebies without them. I also do not keep much of a coupon file box. I have a binder for loose coupons I pick up, but I don’t use them that often and I purge it once per quarter too.
Your turn: How do you purge out of date coupons?